Folk Bands and Artists
Mitchell and Vincent
David Mitchell and Graham Vincent are a folk duo from Dorset and Somerset who bring traditional and contemporary styles on fiddle and guitar to folk tunes and songs from around the British Isles with varied arrangements and great foot-tapping folk music.
They first met playing in a ceilidh band, based in the South West of England, and found out that coincidentally they had both trained as Luthiers (instrument makers) (David plays a guitar he has made and Graham now makes violins). So with shared musical tastes, and wanting to make more music, they started playing a few gigs as a duo during 2012 and have enjoyed playing ever since.
Mitchell and Vincent have performed at a whole variety of festivals, events and concerts around the UK and abroad as well as in their native West Country, including established popular events such as Glastonbury Festival, Beverley Folk Festival, Broadstairs Folk Week, Lyme Folk Weekend, Bath Folk and International Festivals and Wimborne Minster Folk Festival.
They have also supported renowned musicians such as Tim Edey (a BBC Radio 2 Folk Award Winner), Archie Fisher MBE, Jackie Oates and Kate Rusby as well as Ralph McTell and Wizz Jones.
They have been described as:
- Acoustic magazine: “At all times, the interplay between David Mitchell’s guitar and Graham Vincent’s fiddle is quite stunning.”
- Gerard Edwards, Festival & Bradninch Folk Club Organiser:
“Well worth going to see, generous in performance and I would say the quintessential fiddle guitar duo.”
- Chris Deacon, Bridport Folk Festival Director:
“Without doubt an extremely accomplished and entertaining duo. Definitely a must see!”
- FolkWords: “From softly delivered songs ... through expressive tune sets ... there’s a clear and obvious enticement to listen to their music.“
- Bright Young Folk: “Their sound is much deeper and richer than you would expect from an acoustic duo. Intricate instrumentalism and pulsing rhythms abound ... providing skilled arrangements and expert delivery of tunes and songs which showcase the vibrancy, and variety, of folk music across Britain. A thoroughly engaging and enjoyable experience.”
- R2 (Rock’n’Reel) magazine: “Classy musical authority.”
- FATEA Magazine Website: “You will find music that is beautifully played, with a delicacy and lightness of touch that immediately brings to mind Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill.“
- fRoots: “Achieving poised and lively refinement.“
- A. Knutt, Director of CICCIC, Taunton: “A breath of fresh air” and giving a concert of “breath-taking music and performance.”
- Brunny Folk Club: “Our headliners were the stunning Mitchell & Vincent. They brought us rousing tunes, haunting melodies & songs that had the Brunny choir in full voice. If you haven´t seen them before you´ve certainly missed a treat!”
- J. Hayes, Festival Director, Lyme Folk Weekend: “Highlight of the festival … Bringing the crowd to tears one moment and to their feet the next.”
Twitter: @mitchellandvin plus @mitchellandvinc